Recipe submitted by BringTheWing.com
For Halloween I felt it would be appropriate to add a little freaky creepy to the festivities by making our own Bat Wings! With a bit of prep and a couple of black hands later, these babies were ready to go. Baking them first made them super tender and the basic salt/pepper rub really made the flavors shine. That is, of course, if you can get past the fact that you’re eating black wings. Your eyes tell you it’s disgusting, and yet your taste buds tells you it’s delicious… so it’s a total mind trip. Serve them up for your scary holiday party and watch your friends’ reactions. -Brian
- 10 Whole Chicken Wings with Tips
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Black Paste Food Coloring
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ Cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 (12oz) Bottle Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- ¼ Cup Honey
- 1 tsp Crushed Red (Cayenne) Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1. Place wings in large bowl and add Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil. Rub mixture into skin to coat well.
2. Add Black Food Coloring and coat entire batch thoroughly. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR GLOVES!!! The food coloring WILL dye your hands!! Put into a large resealable plastic bag and let set in refrigerator for about 2 hrs.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil and set aside. Once the oven is preheated, spray the foil generously with Pam or any other non-stick spray.
4. Remove wings from refrigerator and place evenly on baking sheets with the wings extended. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. While wings are baking, mix all Sauce Ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. When wings are done, pull them from oven*, drizzle sauce over top, and serve.
*For a crispier wing: When done baking, throw them on the grill for about 10 minutes to give them a nice char.